Thursday, March 11, 2010

Glitter & Glue: A DIY Cake (or Cupcake) Topper

After shopping for cake toppers & seeing how ridiculously expensive they are I decided to make my own.  We found some cute, curly, wooden letters at the store I practically live at (Hobby Lobby).  We also found a red, wooden heart.  After some black paint on the letters...
I coated them with glue...  For the first coat I used my fave, Mod Podge!
I coated the letters & heart in red & black glitter... What a mess!  This took a while to dry... Then they looked like this...
 Everything needed two more coats of glitter so I used Elmer's Craft Bond Spray Glue. That stuff is sooo sticky! If you use it be sure to cover your whole work area because you will spray everything in the general area...
When I was all done I used the Mod Podge to glue the 3 pieces together.  I still need to add a dowel, which I will pick up at one of my many future Hobby Lobby trips...  The almost finished project looks like this & the best part is I did it for under $10!!

No comments:

Post a Comment